Posted in Kitchen Reno

Renovation Reality

There is a show on HGTV (or maybe DIY) that films a family doing a renovation–no crew to help behind scenes, no fancy stuff, just the ups and downs and realities of what it’s really like to do it. Often something bad happens. Often they have an unrealistic timeline and don’t finish for another 6 weeks. Often things go very awry.

We would be great on that show.

The day we dreaded arrived yesterday. Up early, at Walmart at 6:05 for a quick run in, to Dunkin Donuts for a treat for Daddy since he wasn’t getting much of a Father’s Day.

We moved literally everything out of the kitchen (i.e. the fridge is now in the living room, the range is in our school room and the dishwasher is in our mudroom. Our home is in utter chaos). We swept and vacuumed and cleaned the floor really well. I used Wil-bond around the whole room where the tape would be on the bottoms of the walls and the edges of the floor. Then we used Gorilla Tape on every seam where those walls and floors met, except where Jim built “dams” the protect the doorways (3) and heating duct (1). BTW, the dams worked great.

We had hoped to have everything primed by no later than 9, but hah, the prep took SO MUCH LONGER than we thought it would. We finished priming the floor at 10:30. It had to sit for three hours.

Three hours later, nephew Dave (a big hulking 19 year old) to help, me, Jim and three of the four kids (Ethan slept over Nana’s), we started. We had seven bags of Henry’s 555 LevelPro, four 5-gallon buckets, a 2 1/2 quart measuring bucket, a mixing paddle and a float for the floor.

After pouring the first load, it was immediately obvious to me that seven bags were NOT going to cut it. After using them all, Dave and I ran out to the 3rd nearest Home Depot (because we had already emptied out the two nearest) and bought the nine bags they had in stock. We ended up using 12 total.

After it was done, we had a minimum of 2 hours before walking on it. It looked great–so wet and shiny and flat. We had high hopes.

That were quickly–well, two hours is sort of quickly–dashed. This is what we found. Or rather, we found really gigantic bubbles that when stepped on formed these:

Floor 4Floor 1Floor 2Floor 3

I cannot begin to describe how I felt. It wasn’t a small patch. It wasn’t a small area. It couldn’t be easily fixed. It was much of the whole floor and would all need to be gotten up somehow AND THEN REDONE.

I actually cried. Hard. And I’m not a cry-er. I knew things would theoretically look better in the morning, but I was SO discouraged!

Here’s the thing, though. When I went upstairs to go to bed I took my phone with me. I don’t normally. Before I went to shut it down, my Bible app caught my eye. I thought “sure, why not?” and opened it. I haven’t used it in a LONG time. Like, months. I was wondering what to read when I saw “Start Now” and decided to click on it. Lamentations 3. Hmmm. Not the cheeriest of books, is it? But whatever, I’ll read it.

Awful things, bad things, discouraging things happening. But then!

22 Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Huh. Of all the passages in all the Bible, I get the one that talks about things being better in the morning because of God’s faithfulness. Because God kinda knew exactly what it was that I needed to hear.

Was our floor still awful this morning? Yes. Was it still more than a little overwhelming? Yes. Will it still be an incredible amount of work? Yes. Am I able to handle it better? Definitely yes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s