Although I got this recipe officially off tasteofhome.com, it was very easy and you don’t really need a recipe. I’m just a recipe person by nature.
Official Recipe for BBQ Chicken Burritos
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups julienned green peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- Lime wedges, sour cream, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
In a large skillet, cook the chicken, green peppers and onion in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Stir in barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Sprinkle cheese down the center of each tortilla; top with chicken mixture. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up.
In a large skillet, brown burritos in remaining oil on all sides over medium heat. Serve with lime wedges, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
What I changed: More chicken, less oil, 2% mozzarella cheese, whole wheat tortillas, didn’t do the extra browning of the burritos–just plopped the stuff in the tortillas and ate.
I liked this, but thought it would have been better over rice instead. The combination of the tortilla and the BBQ sauce just didn’t do it for me. Still, it was good and I would make it again.